Tuesday 26 February 2013

Crochet Ripple Blanket Tutorial

I'm not afraid to admit that Ripple Blankets used to scare me. They looked so complicated. How did you get the neat colourful lines to wave up and down so beautifully? I stuck to granny squares, those I had mastered and could practically whip up a square in my sleep.

 

I month or so ago I decided to rip off that bandaid and face my fear. It was time to take on the crochet ripple blanket.....I can't belief this use to scare me, it's so easy when you know how! So here I'm going to share the Ripple Blanket secret.

The Ripple Blanket uses 2 basic stitches - chain and treble, that's it!

The pattern is also simple once you are into a rhythm, my pattern uses 4 of the same stitches before moving on, let me explain.

Start with a chain, you will need a multiple of 14, as 14 stitches forms one "V"

I found it helpful to place a stitch marker on every 14th chain. It means when you are completing your first row of trebles you can make sure you are on the right track at every completion of a "V" rather than reaching the end of the row and realising you have gone wrong (I learnt this the hard way on a 200+ chain, uh,)

Now we are ready to start the trebles and form the "V" shape
The pattern starts at the top of the "V"
Chain 3 and then crochet a treble into the last stitch with a marker - this is the equivalent of 2 trebles
Now create the downwards slant by 1 treble into each of the next 4 stitches
We are now at the bottom of the "V" and need to decrease the stitches by crocheting 2 trebles together.
Do this twice
The upwards slant is a repeat of the downwards, 1 treble into the next 4 stitches - you can see the "V" starting to form
 
Back at the top of the "V" and at the end of the pattern. 2 trebles into the next chain.
The next stitch should be marked and is the start of the next 14 chains, start the pattern again with 2 trebles into the stitch
Continue to the end of your chain in the following rhythm
2 trebles into one stitch
1 treble into next 4 stitches
2 trebles together
2 trebles together
1 treble into next 4 stitches
2 trebles into one stitch
 
Don't be too concerned if you don't have a perfect wave at this stage, this will form over the next few rows, you can see in the picture below itch just one more row the "V" is more defined
Eventually your ripples will look like this.
 
I hope you can master the crochet ripple blanket pattern too, what craft do you have an unexplained fear about?

 

 

2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! I've wanted to have a go at a ripple blanket for quite a while. Great tutorial. Love your paperclip markers, great idea! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great instruction. Love the colors in your blanket.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
I really do appreciate every comment so would be grateful if you let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Becca x